Re: Object interfaces to Vsta

From: Rob Savoye <rob_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Aug 17 1994 - 07:20:25 PDT

       From: Dave Hudson <dave@humbug.demon.co.uk>
       Subject: Re: Object interfaces to Vsta

> Shouldn't be too difficult - it already ports to DOS. When I did my run on
> GNU tools a couple of months back, if it ported to DOS it was easiest to start

  I had gcc 2.4.5 G++ cross compiling for VSTa when I was hacking on it a
while ago. The Vsta support is still in our G++ sources, I need to submit
the patch to the FSF, all the other GNU tools getting VSTa support out on
the net was easy.

> I think the other part of this debate (I don't know if you read the Linux
> kernel channel) was that g++ kept generating the wrong code and introducing
> obscure bugs/races. I don't know about 2.6.0 though - anyone tried it yet?

 2.6.0 definetely has bugs, but that's cause the FSF doesn't believe in
regression testing, they'd rather let net folks find the bugs. Anyway, I'll
try to make sure my VSTa patch still works, if so I can get it added to the
Net sources. :-)

> Perhaps the best way to determine the effects would be to cross compile a
> server with this sort of class library. I'd think a good idea would be to

> both are). (Just for completeness I think both the C and C++ servers should
> be compiled on the same version of gcc/g++ and with the same optimisations
> set).

  I tried this, and got held up in the C libraries. Maybe 1.4 will solve
my problems. I'm working on a GCC/GDB port now to an HPPA embedded target,
I'll see if I can find alittle time to cleanup GCC/G++ and do a quicky
source release (if anyone would want one). I'd *love* to get a GDB port
working...

        - rob -