SCSI/CAM status, etc.

From: Mike A Larson <larz_at_nospam.org>
Date: Sat May 28 1994 - 10:02:07 PDT

Hi,

I'd like to let everyone know about the current SCSI/CAM driver status
and at the same time ask a couple of questions.

I've been working on an application interface to the SCSI/CAM driver.
The interface consists of a library of functions that format CCB's and
send them to the driver. Using this interface, I've written a small
utility, called camtalk, that allows the issuing of SCSI commands from
the command line. So far, camtalk does some of the basic SCSI commands
(INQUIRY, TUR, etc.) as well as some CDROM audio commands.

New code has been added to the SCSI/CAM server to:

        a) handle the new application interface.

        b) to handle CDROM's.

I've also added code to implement bounce buffers for SCSI/ISA systems
with > 16MB of memory. This code doesn't actually work yet, as I need
to integrate it with some new code that Andy is writing for VSTa.

Right now, I'm planning on porting a CDROM filesystem to VSTa.

Now for the questions:

1) I've found sources to two CDROM filesystems called isofs. One is
from the BSD world and the other is from Linux. Both have heavy
dependencies on *nix style kernel calls and header files. I think,
however, with some conditional compilation and support functions, that
the porting job shouldn't be too bad. Comments?

2) does it seem reasonable to, by default, to allow the following
access to SCSI devices:

        a) sys.sys only:

                a.1) SCSI DIRECT devices (eg, hard disks)

                a.1) SCSI bus management functions (eg, BUS RESET)

        b) sys.something-else (perhaps sys.io or just sys)

                b.1) SCSI CDROM devices

                b.2) SCSI SEQUENTIAL devices (eg, tapes)

                                        Mike Larson