Re: dos server deaths

From: Tommy Thorn <tthorn_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed May 04 1994 - 10:05:00 PDT

Andrew Valencia writes:
> [Dave Hudson <dave@humbug.demon.co.uk> writes:]
>
> > Boot process 8 dies
> >Process 8 is my dos server :-(
> >If I then use q I go back to the command prompt and the dos server is still
> >there quite happily :-)

Strange. For me the dos server *really* dies, just as soon as I do
anything non-trivial, say:

  $ cd /vsta
  $ echo 'main(){printf("HW\n");}' hw.c
  $ gcc -v hw.c
   ld /vsta/lib/crt0.o hw.o -lc
  Boot process 8 dies
  [Kernel debugger]
>pr
  8 dos
    9 ONPROC kstack ... wchan 0 <none>/<none>
  [Returning from debugger]
(nothing happens)
^Z
  [Kernel debugger]
>pr
  8 dos
  6 swap
>pr 8
  8 dos
   vas .... threads 0 runq ...

This is on a freshly formatted ms-filesystem which only contains
command.com, two .sys file, vsta.tz and vsta_bin.tz (both unpacked
as directed in the roadmap.txt).

The computer is a 386 sx/16 Mhz w. 4 Mb. The ms-dos filesystem is
of size 10 Mb. I runs Linux daily w/o prob.

I know it's a lousy help, as I'm currently unable to recompile VSTa,
and thus, debug it further. If someone did setup a Linux cross-
compilation environment, I would love a copy.

/Tommy