Re: Booting VSTa

From: Tan Pong Heng <tponghen_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue May 03 1994 - 06:03:28 PDT

> [rmccask@online.comm-data.com (Randy McCaskill) writes:]
>
> >Is there currently any other way to boot VSTa other than from DOS?
> >I currently use Linux and it's boot loader LILO. I think that LILO
> >can probably be modified to boot VSTa.
>
> For now, no. There is some work being done for this, but nothing you can
> run yet.
>
> Andy

I don't think it is that hard to get VSTa boot under linux. The problem is
actually to implement the linux file system under VSTa so that VSTa can access
the same file system that it is booted off. LILO will simply load what ever
image specified at specific address and jump into it with some argument
setting. We can re-write the boot.exe a bit and concatenate the rest of
the processes specified in boot.lst now after it. When LILO past the control
to the new boot.exe, it simple move them into place instead of loading them
into place, the rest should be the same. In fact this should be a worthwhile
exercise as it would permit a lot of the Linux developer to participate in
the development effort of VSTa. The only problem is we would need a few
file system process - EXT, EXT2, XIA, ...

--
Tan Pong Heng					Defence Science Organization
Project Leader					20 Science Park Drive, S(0511)