Re: IRQ handling

From: Andrew Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Mar 16 1994 - 07:38:27 PST

[tthorn%hof@hof.daimi.aau.dk (Tommy Thorn) writes:]

>Why not just disable them [IRQ7] instead? Why can the user level code decide
>weather to use the interrupts or not.

Because they do not start arriving because IRQ7 is enabled. They start
arriving because the PIC2->PIC1 chain IRQ is enabled. Like I said, it's
a hardware glitch thing.

If you write a parallel-port driver, and you depend on interrupts, be
prepared to be fielding endless complaints about "it's sluggish" or
"sometimes it stops sending for a couple seconds" and such.

As for the fast iret stub for IRQ7, I'll be happy to enhance the ISR
registry code so the stub gets removed when a handler gets registered. But
it would be a big mistake to base the printer driver on interrupts--the
latest 386BSD printer driver was done by me and a German guy, after we found
out how many people couldn't use the interrupt-based one.

                                                Andy