Re: threads

From: Vijay Gill <vijay_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Feb 25 1994 - 20:26:39 PST

> Before too much effort is put into threads, we should consider whether
> existing mechanisms could be modified to handle (much of) the
> functionality provided by threads. Specifically, I'm thinking about

I second this. To paraphrase from memory, a news post I read a while
ago: Threads fix the symptom, not the problem (context switching is too
slow). Instead of making threads, make the processes simpler and easier
to context switch. In this day and age with MMU hardware, protection,
shared memory etc, why implement something like a thread with the
attendant loss of functionality for debugging (such as memory
protection), etc. Threads hark back to the days when there was no
hardware protection.

vijay
vijay@umbc.edu