Re: Booting VSTa

From: Andrew Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue Jan 11 1994 - 16:53:13 PST

[Jonathon Tidswell <jont@hsa.com.au> writes:]

>I have some preference for a separate BFS partition
> - we want a special list of sectors to load, lets not duplicate the work that
> partitions already do in isolating and identifying sectors.

I agree entirely, with one downside we shouldn't ignore: people *hate*
messing around with disk partitions! I'd guess that less than half of
the folks running VSTa would be doing so if it weren't capable of
running on just about any IDE (and soon, SCSI) DOS system. Since neither
DOS files nor disk partitions move (unless explicitly moved), I think
a scheme which allowed the boot filesystem's sectors to be recorded
should handle both handily. You can record the location of your BFS
partition (very safe), or the location of your BFS filesystem-in-a-file
(very easy, but relatively vulnerable).

                                        Andy