Debugger for VSTa

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <nick_at_nospam.org>
Date: Thu Dec 09 1993 - 16:59:22 PST

> The debug interface is not ptrace()-ish at all. ptrace() is only
>used to pick a process and attach. Using ptrace(), you indicate a port
>name; the child (debugged) process connects and communicates using the
>usual VSTa messaging techniques. Thus, I get to leverage all the existing
>code for handling race conditions, multiple threads, and dying processes.
>The debugger, while talking to the child, merely acts as a server receiving
>messages and sending responses.

Hmm. Remote debugging should be dead easy then. When the protocol is
pretty well developed, could you please send it out to the list?

A debugger will be nice to have. I just spent the last week tracking
down a bug caused by writing 2 bytes in the wrong order. The bug
showed up only after about 50 other messages were sent/received. A
debugger would have been a great help!