Update

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <nick_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue Nov 23 1993 - 16:32:34 PST

Ok. Here is the current project list, and a few odds and sods.

------------------------- Project List -----+------------------------------
     TASK | WHO
--------------------------------------------+------------------------------
VSTa file system (Non-Unix) | vandys@cisco.com
    - Beta version in VSTa 1.1 |
Window System (Non-X11) | nick@nsis.cl.nec.co.jp
Update kbd so key mappings can be downloaded| nick@nsis.cl.nec.co.jp
Mouse driver | nick@nsis.cl.nec.co.jp
    - Written. IBM code needs testing. |
Update wd to handle various IDE drives | ????
Shared libraries |
/proc server (for use with ps etc.) |
Debugger (using /proc??) |
Unix/Linux file systems |
Math emulator (inside kernel? server?) |
Update/expand libc (and include files) |
SCSI disk server | myl@genrad.com, ...
Network server | dave@computone.com
RS232c server |
Rune handling code (based on BSD 4.4 code?) |
Porting of applications (make, emacs, ...) |
--------------------------------------------+-------------------------------

Question:
    Can we mmap() files/ports into the memory map of a process. The
reason I'm asking is that I've been thinking about an Object Oriented
File System (basically just a persistant object store), and mmaping
seems to be one of the easiest ways to achieve it. Actually, I have been
thinking about objects a lot recently, and VSTa seems to be an ideal
platform to experiment with.

MADO Status:
    Things are coming along. I'm almost finished rewriting the server
interface to bitblt. Once that's done, I'll rewrite the keyboard
driver, and then start on MADO itself. Bitblt still has many parts
unfinished (graphics primitives especially), and there is no IBM
driver yet. If anyone is interested in working on these areas, let me
know! The main reason for the slowness is that I have spent a lot of
time on fonts. I have finally got fonts to a reasonably usable level,
and have converted 200+ font files from X11. The font naming scheme is
similar to X11....