Re: QNX for download now as well

From: Andy Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 09:47:34 PST

[Erik Dalen <erik@jpl.nu> writes:]

>QNX has released the QNX realtime platform for non-commercial use.
>(Binaries only). but I suppose some of you might be interested in checking
>it out as it's a very neat microkernel OS. (Don't abandon VSTa though!)

Speaking as the guy who first ported Neutrino to a non-x86 platform (it was
MIPS, and I was sitting in a cubicle at their site in Kenata), I can
honestly say that their system has some amazing innovations, especially in
the area of real time operating system design. Out of consideration for
Intellectual Property, and out of simple respect for a really neat group of
people at QNX, I've actively avoided even a hint of putting their approaches
to problems into VSTa. If you don't mind closed source, and especially if
you need to license something for a commercial environment, you could do
far, far worse than going with QNX's products.

On a side note, one of QNX's early employees and the author of many of their
most prominent technical papers, Dan Hildebrand, was a long-time reader of
this list. It was a great honor to work with him. Sadly, Dan passed away a
couple years ago, but by a fortunate coincidence I was in Canada around that
time and was able to attend his funeral. His keen and kindly mind is missed
by many.

Regards,
Andy Valencia