Re: Miscellaneous comments and questions

From: Andy Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Sat Feb 17 2001 - 08:44:48 PST

["Sandro Magi" <naasking@hotmail.com> writes:]

>Hmmm... Maybe I AM misunderstanding the issue. Say you have two network
>cards('net/eth0' being a 3com, and 'net/eth1' being a ne2000), and you
>configure them with a setup for a particular network. Then say you remove
>the first one(3com card), the ne2000 will then register as 'net/eth0'
>instead of its original 'net/eth1' and the configuration options for the
>3com will be used for the ne2000; obviously a completely incorrect
>situation. That is a serious problem with my idea. I'll have to think about
>that, unless you already have a better solution to this problem(I'm very
>curious how it's done, or how you're going to do it).

The most common "auto config" technique in IP is to use DHCP (and, if it's a
PPP link, IPCP). This works OK for hosts, but not so well for routers.
Even for host mode, it's pretty common to not have DHCP available.

In the next release, KA9Q interface setup for the "generic ethernet"
interface type takes a new argument, which is the registry name of the
driver. This should help somewhat (and command lines in KA9Q do have help
available!).

Andy Valencia