RE: Request for comments

From: James Northrup <james_northrup_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 20:30:58 PST

I have no recommendation regarding ash and VSTA per se, and unfortunately I
have a backlog of test OS's to run on finite test machines, thus I'm not
running a VSTA box presently...

I'm partial to bash, though; does it port to VSTA?

What major readline and posixisms might we find absent in a VSTA port of
bash?

I have not messed with the restricted shell that bash can be configured to
provide, but it seems to offer one. My $.02

[...]

Two things have come up recently with VSTa.

First, I've been looking at getting GNU's "configure" to work properly
on VSTa. I've ported various little missing shell tools, and ended up
realizing that the current Bourne shell we're using is a little down-rev
from what's required by autoconfig. So I grabbed a later FreeBSD "ash",
and ported it over.

Bleah. The current one is shy of 60k of code. The new, improved one is
almost 200k. And yet with this footprint, it lacks things like filename
completion, and yet has to carry its own input line editing code (it
actually uses a "libedit" library, which I also ported). I'm now tending
to think that I should just address the buglets in the current port of
the shell, rather than bring in such gratuitous bloat. Comments?

[...]