Re: Performance

From: Andy Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Dec 27 2000 - 08:35:05 PST

[Dave Hudson <dave@humbug.demon.co.uk> writes:]

>1) VSTa is still running with an old version of gcc

Actually, I ported a much newer one a while back (well, newer than the one I
remember Dave wrestling with when he was doing performance work, anyway).
And then I actually did "most" of a port of whatever was latest as of a
couple months ago. But I'm pretty sure we're enjoying the benefits of a
reasonably modern gcc anyway.

>2) Wherever there is significant messaging traffic there's quite a hit.
>3) VSTa's page mapping is both a blessing and a curse

Both true. But in the context of the performance tests discussed in this
thread, I bet a lot more performance can be gained from filesystem and disk
I/O issues than from messaging path CPU cycles.

Andy Valencia