Re: VSTa 1.6.5

From: Andy Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 13:20:44 PST

["Sandro Magi" <naasking@hotmail.com> writes:]

>How do you mount a floppy in VSTa? I'm guessing the syntax is somewhat
>similar to the above, but I can't find any documentation on the required
>options or the procedure. I've tried a few things but can't get it to work.

Usually you don't want to bother mounting the floppy driver into your
filesystem namespace, although it's easy enough to do:

        /vsta/boot/fd &
        mount disk/fd /fd
        cd /fd
        ls

However, you usually just want to run a filesystem on top of the disk, so:

        /vsta/boot/fd &
        /vsta/boot/dos -d //disk/fd:fd0_1440 -n fs/tst &
        mount fs/tst /xyz
        cd /xyz
        ls

So "//foo" means "go to the namer registry, and look for it there, even
though it isn't mounted in my filesystem". The syntax "//foo:bar" means,
"once you have the thing registered as 'foo', access it as a directory and
open the file 'bar" within it".

In the case of floppies, the floppy server/driver has registered itself as
"disk/fd" with the namer registry. You can either mount this as a directory
in your filesystem, and can cd into it, look at its files (which are just
the floppy drive entries with names corresponding to the various densities),
open/close/read/write them, and so forth.

Or instead you can have a new filesystem server access the nodes directly.
It also works just as well to do:

        /vsta/boot/fd &
        mount disk/fd /fd
        /vsta/boot/dos -d /fd/fd0_1440 -n fs/tst &
        mount fs/tst /xyz

The only difference being that you'll have a /fd directory mounted in
addition to the filesystem itself. Of course, you could always:

        umount /fd

once the server is running, and it'll be removed from your filesystem view
(though, of course, the dos server will continue to operate, since he has
his own filesystem view cloned from when it *was* present, and besides, he
already has the device open and won't need to look at his filesystem again).

Andy Valencia