Re: VSTa under a386

From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <mirian_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 12:09:46 PDT

In article <200007271439.HAA00263@vandys-pc.zendo.com>,
Andy Valencia <vandys@zendo.com> wrote:
>[mirian@cosmic.com (Mirian Crzig Lennox) writes:]
>
>It should very nearly be as simple as running make. You'll want to use a
>cross compiler (VSTa is a known target for the GNU tools), not your native
>(ELF) tool chain. Otherwise I can't think of anything major to get in your
>way.

The good news is that this is very close to the truth. I built
i386-aout-vsta cross-compilers for gcc-2.7.2.3 and binutils-2.8.1 (the
versions which come with VSTa 1.6.3) and it mostly works. Yay!

However, it seems there are a few executables that the make builds and uses
along the way which expect to be run under the VSTa OS, and which would
have to be ported to Linux (or whatever host OS). The ones I've run into
so far are mkshlib, genassym and dbsym. Also the makefiles need some minor
tweaks so that the host compiler not the cross compiler builds those things.

If this is considerd interesting to other people working on VSTa, I'll
be happy to submit whatever changes I needed to make to get it working.

--Mirian