Re: VSTa 1.6.2 update

From: Dave Hudson <dave_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 13:00:24 PST

Hi Andy,

Andy Valencia wrote:

> One weird side note: after returning to text mode, my LCD display is
> generating a very high pitched whine. Anybody recognize this as a common
> symptom of video card programming?

This sounds suspiciously like svgalib is not restoring some of the scan
timings correctly. LCD's can be a bit of a problem in this regard -
text mode may be working, but possibly more by luck than anything else
:-( Have you tried the same thing but with a CRT? Sometimes the timing
variance shows up as a shift or sizing change in the display (strangely
I found that the cheaper CRTs were best for observing this as they did
less to try and compensate).

When I was playing with graphics code under VSTa a while back I ran into
quite a few problems with my laptop where the svgalib code was not
restoring a couple of registers correctly - the code worked OK on a CRT
but not on the LCD (I've also had the reverse being true).

In the end I found that the XFree86 code was generally more thorough - I
suspect because it gets used by a lot more people.

                        Regards,
                        Dave