Re: NET fails

From: Andy Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon Nov 01 1999 - 09:34:51 PST

[Max Int <esd@deakin.edu.au> writes:]

>Suddenly I am getting debugger errors when ka9q- net service is trying
>to start.
>Assertion failed line 36 file ../kern/atl.c
>add_atl: already there
>I didn't think I had made any changes to the system; can anyone help?

You'll find some notes on this under "Threads race for VM" in the (recent)
mail archives. I'm thinking that the real/ultimate fix will be to use
clock_slot(), and letting the fault resolution drop back out to usermode to
restart the instruction. This will be the most efficient for the non-error
case, which is the one we want to favor. Other fixes would be to scan lists
and such, but that costs extra CPU cycles.

Let me know if you're not up to kernel hacking, and I'll play with it
tonight. As a workaround, you could try running with a kernel built without
DEBUG defined; it'll probably run OK, with some possibility of Bad Things
(tm) if you start and stop the net process a lot without rebooting.

Andy Valencia