Several problems

From: Eric Dines <esd_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Aug 20 1999 - 21:10:16 PDT

I am being driven to distraction, for some wierd reason I cannot get gcc to
work properly.
eg:

$gcc hello.c -o hello.o

on one machine cpp fails, on another machine ld fails. The same
installation, gunzipped off ftp site.

Can anyone give me the early version of DJGPP that produces the required
a.out files?

Second Trauma...Editors
======================
vi doesn't seem too happy.
It print on the screen

OOPS
        OOPSterminal capaility cm required
             OOPS OOPS OOPS

vi accepts input ok, and the commands seem to work, its just that it prints
OOPS all over the screen.

=======================
ed is fine?!

=======================
emacs
Environment variable TERM not defined
perm.

I don't know how to fix this.

Third....Network
=======================
My ne2000 lights up from running ne as follows in inittab
bg:/vsta/boot/ne 0x300,5

but even when I call "net" from the $ prompt, I can't ping in or out (or do
anything else).
Running net from inittab means net is up and running before ne is
functioning.

What should I have in the autoexec.net file? I have tried a raft of
combinations.
Is there a detailed how-to on networking...I have searched the archives, but
need more info. please?

Fourth...runrc
=======================
runrc is not functioning,

:not found
:not found
exit: Illegal number: 0

Is there any reason for this? From the source code, it would appear that
this could be causing many of my problems. Both /vsta/bin/sh and
/vsta/etc/rc appear to be there, but I wondering if sh is problematic?

cheers

Eric

esd@deakin.edu.au