Re: microkernel design question

From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <lennox_at_nospam.org>
Date: Thu Jul 15 1999 - 13:10:26 PDT

newsham@lava.net (Tim Newsham) writes:

> not quite. In BSD, you configure subdrivers seperately from drivers
> (for example soundblaster subdriver and the audio subsystem). In VSTa
> these two would likely be in the same process.

So far, that's not the way it seems to work in VSTa. There seems to
be an interest in keeping the hardware-specific drivers in their own
processes (e.g. the ne process is separate from the ka9q process),
which I think is a laudable goal... it keeps each piece of the system
relatively simple and without "magic" interdependencies.

> The filesystems
> would only be run when they are in use [ie. a filesystem is mounted]
> (do you normally use nfs, ffs, fat, ext2 and iso9660 on the same time on
> the same system?).

If it's a multiboot machine, then certainly.

--
Mirian Crzig Lennox                                Systems Anarchist
              Invest in America -- buy a Congressman!