Re: Window Systems

From: <john_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon May 10 1999 - 14:36:17 PDT

On Mon, May 10, 1999 at 08:14:06AM -0700, Andy Valencia wrote:

> GGI is a nicer layering of such graphics capabilities. However, so far as I
> can tell from perusing the current code, it depends on things like svgalib
> to handle the actual graphics card support. Therefore to get broad graphics
> card support you still have to wrestle with svgalib, after which GGI might
> be nice to port on top. Somebody with better knowledge can correct me.

the GGI library needs some sort of device to talk to. currently it uses dynamic
doesnt talk to any hardware directly... the KGI portion however does talk to the
hardware and goes into the linux kernel... hmmm perhaps it is time somebody
write a 'linux kernel device driver' server which would emulate enough of the
linux kernel to allow their device drivers to be used without change... it
actually probaby wouldnt be as difficult as one might think, as there is a
pretty strict interface which they must follow and most of them are a thin layer
that just bangs the hardware... hmmm..
        John

--
John Meacham     http://synergy.foo.net/~john/