RE: App installation and encapsulation (Was: Tandem Expand)

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Dec 04 1998 - 16:08:15 PST

> > However, in the above function, you *still* have to bind to something,
> > and have a way for naming that something, and again, I contend that
> >
> > /app_resources/ja/ui/menu
> >
> > is as good as a GUID.
>
> If you want a standard heirarchy to store your applications private
> information, that's fine. I don't think we should dictate this for all
> apps, because some apps will want RDBMS storage, or simple record
> storage, or BSP, or some other storage type.

I was not arguing for a standard heirarchy, I was just saying that the
namespace is entirely internal to the app. So

      /app_resources/ja/ui/menu

could be just as useful as

      menu ja 0001 HAFFF556880-0000

for example. From a resource discovery and management perspective, I think
most programmers will find heirarchies much more natural. Again, this is
really local to the application *unless* you want some way of exposing this
to the outside world.

If you want to, in a common way, expose the inner structure to the outside
world, you *must* have some convention, be it by naming, or by providing
programmatic hooks.