RE: Tandem Expand (Was: Re: Distributed VSTa)

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Dec 02 1998 - 06:41:29 PST

> I have a qustion. Should we have some sort of VSTa name service? I mean,
> a lot of the problems involved in using purely symbolic names for things
> is getting a consistant and expectable result every time.

Well, I was just installing Office 2000 yesterday, and what David Jeske said
hit me in spades as I watched the install process.

We all know the problems caused by windows install programs that install
things
all over the system because they need to live in "special" places in order
for
things to work well (just try installing things in non-default places and
watch
what breaks). Worse, uninstall doesn't always clear everything that was
installed
off the machine, so you often get to a point where your disk is half full of
crud
that you don't need, but are not sure that you can delete.

I think this is a clear example of why we need per-process maps
and mount overlays... with these, the programs, at starup, would simply make
the
namespace looks like they need it to be, but have the actual *installation*
of
the program be purely local. Uninstall would be a snap.

FWIW. I've started back working on MADO. Two of the neat things that Photon
has
that I'd like to get are the distribution and duplication capabilities.
These
could be handled using something like proxyd and teed (daemon equivalent of
"tee"
under unix), but I've not decidced that's the best way yet.