Re: Distributed VSTa

From: Martin Lucina <mato_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon Nov 30 1998 - 12:22:33 PST

Andy Valencia (vandys@zendo.com) wrote :

> mount fs/root:tmp /dist
>
> which would ask the namer for the server registered as serving fs/root
> (i.e., the root filesystem), and then access the "tmp" subdirectory of
> that filesystem. Thus, /tmp from the root filesystem would be seen as
> /dist.
>
> By adding the "@<ipaddr>" suffix, this same request occurs, but out on the

Cool. One thing that bothered me when you introduced the //<path> syntax for
talking to the namer is that I would really like to see //203.96.5.14/tmp/<path>
work, somewhat like DomainOS or QNX. Maybe `mount' isn't the right name for
what we're doing, but we could use simply

    mount //203.96.5.14/tmp /dist

        or

        mount //203.96.5.14/fs/root:tmp /dist

Unfortunately I don't have a DomainOS box around, but maybe it would be
worthwhile to have a look because I'm sure that you could do the same thing
we're doing with mount now AND at the same time transparently access files
wihout mounting anything using the //host/path syntax.

Comments, anyone?

Martin