Re: mkshlib mysteries

From: Andy Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue Nov 10 1998 - 07:17:29 PST

[Eric_Jacobs@fc.mcps.k12.md.us (Eric Jacobs) writes:]

>Speaking of open(), what is the status of symbolic links in VSTa? The
>file system seems to be required to give an ESYMLINK error if an
>attempt is made to open a symlink without the ACC_SYMLINK bit. DOS
>does this for files with the hidden flag set, but doesn't seem to
>have a way of creating the links. The GNU file utils don't seem to
>believe that symlinks can be created at all, and always copy the file
>instead.

I put the ESYMLINK hooks in to see if the concept worked (it does). I had
no pressing need for symlinks once I was sure I knew how to do them, so the
rest of the emulation got pushed on the stack.

BTW, the DOS thing was a hack; I was really planning on using them along
with environment variable links under vstafs. The idea was that in the
source directories "mach" would be a symlink to "@MACH", and I'd set MACH
to, say, "mach.x86", which would be the source dir with the machine
dependent source for that target.

                                                        Andy