Re: union mounts

From: David Jeske <jeske_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Nov 06 1998 - 18:05:14 PST

On Fri, Nov 06, 1998 at 04:25:52PM -0800, Andy Valencia wrote:
> >i find that almost as useful as per-process namespace.
>
> That's the claim I heard from Plan 9 in particular, but in practice I've
> never used it much at all. For instance, Plan 9's shell only looks at /bin,
> and you're expected to union things into it. But in practice, all shells
> (even the freeware "rc" clone) use a PATH concept. Still, it's there, and
> works (delta any bit rot).

I find this an interesting concept considering that modern shells walk
your 'path' and bring everything into an in-memory hash table
anyhow. What's the big win of doing a union bin?

In my own UNIX installations, I've moved in completely the opposite
directions, all packages are encapsulated in their own directories. On
superior shells (like zsh) I just manually add entries into the path
hash table. I don't have a /usr/local/bin.

This allows me to have lots of versions of the same things installed,
and allows me to be more aware of command line naming conflicts.

home:/usr/local/encap> ls -F
INSTALLED
apache_1.2.5.encap/
catdoc-0.33.encap/