Re: init can't open inittab

From: Mark Johnson <mjohnson_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Nov 06 1998 - 08:37:33 PST

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Andy Valencia wrote:

> [Mark Johnson <mjohnson@enteract.com> writes:]
>
> >% cd /x
> >% ls -l
> >[...]
> >vsta: [...] type=f [...]
> >It seems like the dos server thinks the vsta directory is a file.
> >Does anyone have any ideas or hints of what to investigate?
>
> Can you try "cd /x/vsta" and "ls"? I want to check for any funny in the
> "ls" as opposed to the actual filesystem.
% cd /x/vsta
New dir: /x/vsta
% ls
%

Nothing (btw I did a cd /x/command.com ; ls - it started printing out
command.com and dumped me into the debugger - imagine that :-)

The other files appear like I would expext them directories are
directories and files are files.

> I can't think of any reason the DOS server would get confused. FAT-32 and
> compressed volumes won't even start, and it's hard to get confused once
> you're talking FAT-16.
>
> Do all the files in the "ls" match up with what you expect? Once I had a
> problem with a confusion between my first SCSI disk and my first IDE disk,
> when my IDE wasn't configured in the BIOS. Just a random thought.

The machine is a ZDS Z-NOTEFLEX with one 525 MD IDE HD. The DOS is from a
format /s c: from a vanilla MS-DOS 5.0 boot disk. I deleted the old /vsta
and reinstalled with the same results. I'll give this another try on
another machine.

Mark