Re: install question

From: Eric Jacobs <Eric_Jacobs_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Oct 28 1998 - 07:28:41 PST

I have a couple of questions about VSTa that I'm still fuzzy
about.

I know what the "perm" and "acc" stat fields do, but I still
get confused dealing with "struct perm". Does that one handle
both fields? When I read in an "acc" field from rstat(),
I've been doing an atoi on the first value for the default
access, skipping to the "/", and then calling the library
function to read in the rest. Is this right?

UIDs and GIDs: Do their values relate to the perm values,
or are they completely different? The docs seem to say
that they are the same, but I'm confused. When you log on
as root, you get usr.root for your default permission, via
the line in /vsta/etc/passwd. In order to get the real
root permission, you'd have to be in the group (I think
it's 99), not the usr group.

Also, in POSIX you can stat() a file you don't have read
access to. In VSTa you cannot, because you would have to
FS_OPEN it first. This causes utilities like gls and vls to
bail out when there are private files that you don't own in
 a directory. In VSTa the only thing you know about a file
you can't read is its name.

Kernel stuff: "struct port" in the kernel corresponds to
"port_name" in a program, which is global across all processes
(i.e., they can send port names to each other). "struct
portref" in the kernel corresponds to "port_t", which is
specific in each process and can't be shared across processes.
Is this right?

One last thing: the values for the "type" stat field. I see
f is for file (FS_SEEKable), and d is for directory. c is for
a TTY (not FS_SEEKable, returns true on isatty). "b" and
"s" refer to block devices; what's the difference? "fifo"
is a pipe (no FS_SEEK). "x" means other device (only
FS_STAT)?

Thanks,
Eric