Re: vstafs installation

From: Eric Jacobs <Eric_Jacobs_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue Oct 27 1998 - 05:04:24 PST

Andy Valencia writes:

> Anyway, I installed the tools on an older laptop, and see a problem
running
> "as" on it. From some A/B comparisons, it looks like the tail end of
the
> file got corrupt while copying it into the vstafs partition. I cp'ed
the
> file from the DOS server onto /tmp, and then cp'ed the same file from
> vstafs, and although the have the same size, they differ in binary
content
> (cmp is your friend here). So vstafs either corrupted it while
creating the
> file, or while having it read() (my guess is the former).

I did what you suggested; both files have the same size, but
only the one copied from the dos partition will work correctly.
But the things were even more bizarre that we had thought. The
two files are identical up until just before the 128k mark. At that
point vstafs had some garbage where dos has all zeroes. That was
what you had thought in the last message. However, AFTER the 128k
mark, they switch: vstafs has zeroes where dos now has data! Using
my other friend, less, I see now that vstafs has zeroed out the string
%$-+(,)*._~/<>|&^!:[, which contains the symbols that as was
complaining about in my first message. To make things even weirder,
the files sync up again shortly beyond that point.

Also, I checked cp and it doesn't do any seeking. In fact, this problem
seems to be created by doing nothing more than simple writes to
vstafs. (pausing to go piddle on vsta machine.)

The problem seems to have gone away. I did a cp back from the dos
drive, and vstafs now has an uncorrupted version of as. Blah! I just
sucessfully did a make.

I still have the bad copy here, but I can't recreate the problem.

:)

Eric