long filenames in FAT filesystem

From: Brett McCoy <bmccoy_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon May 18 1998 - 12:46:25 PDT

Can anyone point me at a resource that explains how Win95 and NT do long
filenames in FAT filesystems?

I can't *stand* 8.3 filenames and I really want something better.
However, I can't use vstafs as my main filesystem right now because it
crashes periodically, specifically when compiling everything. I'd like
to work on debugging the vstafs filesystem code, but I need a stable
filesystem to work on in the meantime, and the FAT filesystem code seems
stable (if a bit slow).

So, I'd like to look at adding long filenames to it. If it's done in a
really, really grody way, then maybe I'll work on making vstafs more
stable from the getgo (but it would be nice to use the long filenames
under FAT).

++Brett;