Re: MGR Programming

From: Andy Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Thu Mar 12 1998 - 09:03:39 PST

[Binh Thai <s2156593@cse.unsw.edu.au> writes:]

> * When the user starts the program, a new window should pop up.
>This new window will display a plot of some activities.

So it will still be a application window?

> This is my 1st step. Unfornately I'm having trouble creating a new
>window. I used the macro in term.h
> m_newwin()
> A new window is created, but I can't do anything to that window
>(not even printing hello world). I tried using the examples given in the
>directory /vsta/mgr/src/clients/tests/half.c, but the macro m_halfwin()
>crashes mgr.

Groan, yes. As I recollect, halfwin's are a hack to marry a window with a
pseudo-tty. I never worked on this part, aside from making it compile
during the initial port. A better bet would be to look at the pop-up
windows which icon/zoom.c uses.

> I am just wondering has anyone out there tried to do this sort of
>stuff? If so, can you tell me how to do it properly?

I wrestled with some thorny edge cases in the multiple window handling, and
got it working acceptably about a year ago. Bit rot could certainly have
won back this fix, or perhaps a new variation has come up.

The real pain with debugging this level of MGR is that your screen and
keyboard are held by MGR, so there's not a good place to run the debugger.
Back when I was hacking on this, I was on the road with my 2-pound laptop,
and was actually running adb on the terminal emulator of my Psion 3
connected to the COM1 port!

                                                        Andy