VSTa bootable floppy troubles...

From: David Jeske <jeske_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Feb 25 1998 - 02:34:49 PST

Hey all,

I dropped 1.6.1 on my machine this evening, and proceeded to make a bootable
VSTa floppy. By this I mean, I formatted a floppy as DOS FAT, copied what I
could surmise were the required files onto it, installed grub to load the stage
2 loader off the floppy, and let 'er rip.

Before doing any of this I:

1) installed the fd_pat.1 patch to the fd server to get it to work
2) changed the floppy to build as a static server (ugh it's big now)
   by making the libraries "-lc_s -lsrv" instead of "-lusr -lc"
   and using "crt0srv.o" instead of "crt0.o".

Now, the floppy server works when launched from VSTa, and it works when used as
a boot server from the floppy.

I tried to do a basic boot, and after GRUB loads all the servers, the screen
clears (good sign) and I see the two messages from the fd server. I think I saw
the filesystem established message also (more on this), the drive churns in nice
patterns like it's running software, and then after a few seconds the system
locks hard. No drop into the kernel debugger, just everything stops.

So I changed to using testsh instead of init. I successfully mounted "fs/root"
to "/" and perused around it, so the fd server and dos filesystem on the fd
server at least _seem_ to be working somewhat.

Any ideas about what might be locking it hard? I have all the standard /vsta/etc
files on the floppy, and most of the important stuff from /vsta/bin (i.e. login,
cp, echo, setime, runrc, ls, pwd, and a few more)

I'm going to look at this again tommorow. If anyone wants to take a look, grab
the image of the floppy from:

http://www.chat.net/~jeske/VSTa/vstaflop.gz

just ungzip it and then either use rawrite.exe or "cat" or "dd" to get it onto a
floppy.

--
David Jeske (N9LCA) + http://www.chat.net/~jeske/ + jeske_at_chat.net