Re: 'dos' process dying while booting vsta 1.6.1 ?

From: Wayne Meissner <w.meissner_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue Dec 30 1997 - 18:00:52 PST

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm installing vsta 1.6.1 on a laptop I just bought.
>
> Trouble is, whenever I boot it , the thing starts booting, and then spits:
> Boot process 7 dies
> [Kernel debugger @ spl 0]

I get exactly the same result. If I hit 'q' to leave the debugger, I then
see the WD server fire up and display the HD info(which it gets
correct), and init complaining that it can't find the root filesystem
(gee, I wonder why .... :-).

Mine is on a VFAT (FAT16) partition. I've been meaning to try it on a raw
FAT partition, on one of my spare drives, or one of my machines at work,
but have been too busy.

> So I do a proc, and find:
> ..
> 7 dos
> 8 ONPROC kstack c0e000 uregs c0efc0 wchan 0 <none>/<none>
>
> Its juyst a DX4-100 laptop with 8mb RAM and a 500ish mbyte HDD. Its running
> FAT16. Does anyone have any ideas why its barfing? (I'm new to the GRUB
> scene since erm, 4 hours ago :)

If you get that far, then its pretty likely that grub is working, so that
can be discounted.

--wayne