Re: Mouse

From: <docwhat_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue Dec 30 1997 - 08:13:54 PST

Repeating what Andy said:

->One possiblity is that your mouse has "jitter" and generates an endless
->stream of single-bit delta changes. Especially if the UART isn't
buffered,
->you can then have port overruns, and you start reading garbage from the
->port. You can "stat //tty/tty01" (or tty02 for the 2nd COM port) and
check
->the error counters on the device. A couple overruns are not actually all
->that big a deal; the serial protocol is pretty forgiving.

Also, from my own experience: It's possible that the "jitter" or other
mouse problems can be caused by a mouse that's improperly shielded
against light. Try putting the mouse under a box or a towel and see if
the "jitter" garbage stops.

Example 1: Generic Brand ($18) Circa 1994
        I had a mouse that failed to work vertically (i.e. it would
only move horizontally) in the afternoons.
Cause:
        Sunlight coming in at just the right angle to hit the optical
sensor inside the mouse.
Cure: Moved monitor in front of mouse. ;)

Example 2: Generic Brand ($10) Circa 1991 or 1992
        I had a mouse that would jitter at night. Sometimes
vertically, sometimes horizontally, rarely both.
Cause:
        Florescent lighting and the angle of the mouse to this lighting.
Cure:
        Buy a new mouse. (I thought of putting a box which I'd put my
hand in, but it wasn't worth the greif.) :(

Just thought I'd put my two cents in.

Ciao!

            -=Doc

--
"If only you'd listened to me, I could have saved you from all that
yukkiness."