Re: v1.5 snapshot

From: Andy Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Jan 10 1996 - 15:47:28 PST

[t.hesketh@unsw.EDU.AU (Tim Hesketh) writes:]

>Andy - fantastic work (1.5 and MGR)! I am looking at the MGR stuff now though,
>and would like to trouble you for one more small thing - steps 1,2,3...
>for innocents like me (no details required). It would save me quite a lot
>of time.

Ok, let's see... :-)

I think I forgot to install the new mouse server, so:

cd /vsta/src/srv/mach/mouse
make
./mouse -type <type> &

The ps2aux type is twitchy; there's some latent problems but it'll run OK
usually.

Now just cd into mgr/src/mgr (wherever you extracted it) and:

./mgr

You should see the cool startup screen. Click a mouse button. Now you
should have a blank screen with just a root background pattern. Click left
button down, and you should see a menu with the top being "new window",
release, and you should have a small bounding box. Drag the box out to a
given size, and you should get a window with a shell prompt in it.

I'm currently playing with terminal size. The MGR code has a command which
you're supposed to invoke (and eval into your shell) whenever you change
size. With my port, the MGR handler sees each rstat() (roughly the
equivalent of ioctl()), so it can fill in a window size at that point. Then
I just need a hook in -ltermcap, and it should work pretty well!

                                                Andy