Re: Serial mouse

From: Pat Mackinlay <pat%wesson_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri Nov 05 1993 - 11:37:49 PST

[...I've just brought up a mail feed to my home, so this is it's first
"real" test. The date field (and possibly some others) may be a little
damaged, but the important parts should be right...]

> Does anyone have any information on IBM/compatible serial mouse? In
> particular, data format etc. How is it handled under linux? Is it just
> connected via the normal serial interface?

The Linux kernel doesn't do anything particularly fancy with mice, the
actual interpretation of the data stream is left up to the application
(eg: X or selection).

The best documentation I can come up with on the mouse protocol is actually
the source to the abovementioned program "selection". This program basically
allows cutting and pasting of characters on the Linux console (very handy),
and is reasonably simple to follow. Seeing as it's so small, I'll mail you
(Nick) the source in another message.

--
Pat.