Re: ponderings

From: Andrew Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Oct 20 1993 - 09:01:26 PDT

[Pat Mackinlay <pat@garion.it.com.au> writes:]

>I must say that I'm a fan of the concept. The only further point I'd like
>to add is that using Display Postscript (ala NeXT) would also buy you the
>ability to produce printer output with minimal effort. On the downside,
>implementing a PS rasterizer would not be simple. Perhaps the engine of
>ghostscript could be useful?

Ouch. If the performance of ghostscript overall is any indicator of the
performance of its postscript engine, then I can guarantee you that *I*
will stick with the cons server!

A generalized interpreter might be overkill. I definitely *do* like the
idea of having a base set of "widgets" on the server, common to all applications.
Frankly, if you give me windows, pull-down menus, mouse, keyboard, and perhaps a
pop-up or two then I think I can do all the window programming needed. The
continuity it would provide across applications seems to me a feature, not
a bug.

My intention has been to create a mailing list for MADO when discussion
really starts rolling. Nick, I will leave it to you as to when you would
like it created.

                                                Andy