Math emulator

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <nick_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon Oct 18 1993 - 20:53:46 PDT

Well, I seem to have generated some discussion :-) Anyway, I was
wondering about FP support because for wide line support in bitblt,
integer math is probably not going to suffice, because calculating the
end cap is not trivial, and seems to require FP. (Actually, the first
release of bitblt will not support wide lines because I figure they're
a luxury item that can be added later, thought the hooks will be there.)

I wonder: could some task be written to handle FP emulation via the
387 missing interrupt? The biggest problem I see is restoring the
process that used FP. I don't know enough about the internals of VSTa
to decide whether it's feasible or not, but if such a task could be
written, the FP emulator of Linux could be used in it.

Anyway, it seems that the kernel should at least save/restore the
co-processor state on task switches.

# Sorry for the late response: I've been tied up in meaningless
# meetings all morning.