Re: Math emulator

From: Andrew Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon Oct 18 1993 - 08:25:12 PDT

[nick@nsis.cl.nec.co.jp (Gavin Thomas Nicol) writes:]

> does anyone have any plans to add a math emulator to the VSTa
>kernel? I was wondering, because we could probably take the one from
>Linux (it's under the GPL), and if we had it, it might make writing
>some things a bit easier.

Not only is their no thought on doing a math emulator, there's no thought
on supporting a math coprocessor! I would think the best path would be
to add 387 support (by that, I mean 387 as well as the 387 part of a i486),
then leave hooks to do emulation when the 387 is absent.

V7 UNIX did math emulation in the SIGFPE handler. I'd think this would
be a good first step, since it leaves it out of the kernel. You'd definitely
want to set up the C library so that the emulation code was only pulled
in if floating point was used. I think GCC exports some symbols which could
tip you off.

                                                Andy