Re: CAM

From: Pat Mackinlay <mackinla_at_nospam.org>
Date: Wed Sep 15 1993 - 02:14:01 PDT

> I'm waiting for the ftp return of CAM stuff at present.

Do you have the SCSI-II draft as well? It's available on ftp.cs.tulane.edu
under /pub/scsi if you (or anyone else) is interested. It's pretty dry
reading, but it is useful...

> Im a little apprehensive about having 4 processes between a disk read and the
> disk:
> client ==> disk-FS ==> PDRV ==> XPT ==> SIM ==> disk

Any idea what Plan9 or QNX do? Andy? I'm not sure, but I would have thought
that a few context switches wasn't much compared to the speed of reading
a reasonable amount of data from disk. Perhaps a good serve of blocking
and buffering will reduce the impact?

Mach doesn't use CAM - it has device "drivers" (really interfaces) built
into the kernel, so it's much more like a traditional kernel in that respect.
I mention it because Mach has _exceptional_ SCSI support...

One other thought - could you go over the various components and what they're
supposed to do again? Can any of them be combined into a single driver
without losing configurability?

--
Pat -- Alien lands on head, gives birth to mutant.