Solution to IDE geometry problems...

From: Pat Mackinlay <mackinla_at_nospam.org>
Date: Sun Sep 12 1993 - 03:11:43 PDT

As per the subject, I think I might have worked out how to kick the
WD server's geomtry hassles for good. What needs to happen is for an
"Initialise drive parameters" command to be sent to the drive after
the geometry is read with the "Read parameters" command. This will
allow the WD server to use whatever geometry the drive returns without
any problems (I hope).

I'll be making a stab at this in a few minutes, and if it works on my
disks, I'll send the patch along.

Andy, I was wrong about how things work - we don't really need the
BIOS's "fake" geometry unless we want to _create_ partitions, something
the FDISK utility (when we have one) will be able to prompt the user for.

--
Pat -- Alien lands on head, gives birth to mutant.